ARCHDIOCESE OF ST. LOUIS CODE OF ETHICAL CONDUCT FOR MINORS VOLUNTEERING OR WORKING WITH YOUNGER CHILDREN
You are about to begin what could be a lifelong commitment to working or volunteering for the Catholic Church. It is a privilege to help carry on the mission of Jesus Christ, one that no one takes lightly. Moreover, as a minor yourself, it is important you follow certain rules and guidelines, both for your protection and for the protection of those to whom you minister. The church takes the issue of misconduct very seriously. Certainly any instance of your misconduct will be evaluated carefully, and you are urged to report any instances of misconduct that you see to the adult in charge of your area of service.
GENERAL CONDUCT FOR VOLUNTEERS OR WORKERS WHO ARE MINORS
- You must always be aware of your own protection and the protection of those with whom you are working.
- You must never be alone with a younger child in your care.
- You must never transport a younger child in your care.
- When you are on an outing with younger children in your care there must be two adults present at all times.
- You are not to access locker rooms, shower rooms and dressing rooms where younger children in your care are present unless an adult is present.
- You are not to accompany a younger child in your care into a restroom without an adult present unless the circumstances make it absolutely unavoidable.
- You must never have physical contact with younger children in your care, except as appropriate in connection with your duties.
- You must never use inappropriate language when working with younger children.
- You must never be involved with the illegal possession and/or illegal use of drugs and/or alcohol in the presence of younger children in your care.
- You must never use physical force or demeaning language in disciplining younger children in your care.
- You have a responsible position within your parish and you should live up to the expectations of trust that have been placed in you.
- You must never take advantage of a younger child in your care.
- You must be aware that Archdiocesan guidelines on child abuse are to be followed without exception whenever someone works or volunteers with a younger child to protect the rights of all involved.
The Archdiocese of St. Louis is grateful for the service you provide. Whenever you have questions or whenever you are uncertain about what is required, ask the adults with whom you work.